Rules of the road to keep you on track
Like their social counterparts, naming protocol make life simpler by providing decision trees so that you know exactly what to do when a particular naming challenge arises.
Some common challenges include
- Name categorization: master brand versus sub-brand
- Family naming conventions: use of words, alphanumerics, or numbers
- In-house naming procedures: steps, checkpoints, and vetting
- Name usage: consistency in use of company name, trademark symbols, and abbreviations
- Co-branding: process for creating and implementing names
- Code-naming: guidelines for choosing project names that won’t turn into real names
Having clear naming protocol in place will grease the wheels of your naming process, keep your naming portfolio orderly, and control the way your brand names are used in traditional and social media.