10 Reasons to Choose Catchword
Catchword is a trusted leader in naming, with more than two decades of experience creating memorable and impactful brands for clients worldwide. But what specifically sets Catchword apart? Glad you asked. Here are 10 things:
1. A proven process for creating stand-out names and brands, honed through decades of experience. We got our start in 1998, before naming was even a thing. (Remember Petopia? That was ours.) Our founders and senior team have logged more than 25 years in the industry. As a result, our process deftly navigates the landmines of trademark and domain-name clearance, linguistic and cultural appropriateness, multiple decision-makers, and human subjectivity.
2. Award-winning portfolio and top-ranked customer experience. Catchword has received more awards for naming work than any other agency, including Top Honors at the London International Awards (LIA), 3 Transform Awards, 2 Gold Hermes Creative Awards, 2 Gold MarCom Awards, and a Gold MUSE Creative Award. Our 5-star client reviews and industry leadership have earned Catchword the award for #1 naming firm and #1 branding firm in the world from leading ranking site Clutch.
3. More names than you ever thought possible. Without an ownable name, your brand is going nowhere, so we make sure you find a name that can legally be yours. For a full project, we typically develop thousands of names, exploring directions, constructions, and languages you had no idea would be so compelling, while significantly upping the odds that you’ll have a great name (or three) standing after full legal review.
4. Ability to work successfully with all types of clients, from titans like Intel, PwC, Kellogg’s, and Amazon to startups, mid-sized companies, VCs, and nonprofits. This means we’re as comfortable briefing with global teams as we are Zooming with a single entrepreneur.
5. Trademark expertise and domain name services. Let’s face it, you probably wouldn’t be calling us if trademark availability were a walk in the park. You need someone with extensive practical experience in global trademark issues, the ability to steer creative away from overcrowded semantic areas, and a network of trademark professionals for prescreening and full searches. And domain name availability can be just as challenging, which is why we create names with a greater likelihood of domain availability and routinely assist clients with acquisition, assessment, and brokering of .com and other domains.
6. Creative versatility. Our name and design styles span the spectrum, from on-the-nose to abstract, playful to professional. We’d never be so diva as to say we only create real English word names, or that red is passé. Our work is finely tuned to each company’s culture, market space, strategic objectives, and legal and global realities.
7. Strategic thinking that reflects deep market understanding. For us, brand and name development isn’t just about creativity. It’s a critical business exercise involving a company’s most important assets. We know that a thoughtful, purposeful strategy is the foundation of every great brand. Our names and designs don’t just look cool; they reflect carefully crafted positioning, solve important business challenges, and address vital market needs.
8. Flexibility to scale up or down. We recognize that client needs and timelines vary, and we’ll work with you to determine the best process for your project. This can range from a burst of naming creative for an early market research initiative, to a full and robust process that includes brand strategy, naming, visual identity, site design, and more.
9. Communication. We’re not the black-box type. In order to develop your company or product brand, we’ll need to get to know you—and your culture, competition, personal preferences, and more. We’ll respond to your questions and concerns promptly, and we’ll guide you through what can be a challenging process with clear, efficient communication.
10. A focus on naming, which uniquely informs our branding work. To become a naming expert you need a deep understanding of brand strategy (and taglines and copywriting and the graphic potential of words), as well as naming. It doesn’t necessarily work the other way around. An agency can be great at various aspects of branding and design without much knowledge of naming. Given the high hurdles of global trademark availability, cultural and linguistic appropriateness, and aligning multiple decision-makers for whom the new name is deeply personal, naming is often the trickiest part of brand work. If your branding project includes name development, go with a naming expert who also understands branding.
11. Catchword overdelivers (even on reasons to choose us). We can’t help it. We love what we do and want to ensure that our clients feel well taken care of and receive everything they need. That means more experience, more probing questions, more communication, more creative, more guidance, and more follow-up. It’s the hundred details that bedevil projects, after all, and we’ve got them covered. Whether it’s professionalism or obsessiveness that drives us, we’re detail-oriented people who never lose sight of the big picture.