10 Reasons to Choose Catchword
Catchword is a trusted leader in naming, with more than two decades of experience creating memorable and impactful names for clients worldwide. Our value proposition is, quite simply: the best names, delivered by the most experienced professionals.
Clients and agency analysts think we’re pretty great at our job too. We’ve been the #1 naming firm on leading ranking site Clutch since they started tracking naming services, and rank #1 for branding and #2 for all B2B services worldwide.
But what specifically sets Catchword apart? Glad you asked. Here are 10 things:
1. A proven process for creating stand-out names. Despite landmines such as trademark and domain-name clearance, linguistic appropriateness, multiple decision-makers, and human subjectivity, our process—honed over many years—delivers creative, strategic, and ownable names.
2. Decades (and decades) of naming experience. Founded in 1998, we got our start in the earliest days of the industry, and we’ve since helped to establish some of its best practices. Our partners average over 20 years, and collectively, our team tops a full century of experience.
3. More names than you ever thought possible. For a full project, we typically develop thousands of names, exploring directions, constructions, and languages you had no idea would be so compelling, while significantly upping the odds that you’ll have a great name (or three) standing after full legal clearance.
4. Ability to work successfully with all types of clients, from titans like Intel, McDonald’s, and VW to startups, mid-sized companies, VCs, and nonprofits. This means we’re as comfortable briefing with global teams as we are meeting with a single entrepreneur in temporary office space.
5. Trademark expertise and domain name services. Let’s face it, you probably wouldn’t be calling us if trademark availability were a walk in the park. You need someone with extensive practical experience in global trademark issues, the ability to steer creative away from overcrowded semantic areas, and a network of trademark professionals for prescreening and full searches. And domain name availability can be just as challenging, which is why we create names with a greater likelihood of domain availability and routinely assist clients with acquisition, assessment, and brokering of .com and other domains.
6. Creative versatility. Our name styles span the spectrum, from descriptive to abstract, playful to professional. We’d never be so diva as to say we only use real words, or that the letter Q is passé. Our work is finely tuned to each company’s culture, market space, strategic objectives, and legal and global realities.
7. Flexibility to scale up or down. We recognize that client needs and timelines vary, and we’ll work with you to determine the best process for your project. This can range from a burst of creative for an early market research initiative, to a robust process that includes brand strategy, naming strategy, multiple creative rounds and presentations, linguistic and cultural validation, and identity and design.
8. Strategic thinking that reflects deep market understanding. For us, naming isn’t just about creativity. It’s a critical business exercise involving a company’s most important assets. Our names don’t just sound cool; they solve important business challenges and address vital market needs.
9. Communication. We’re not the black-box type. In order to name your company or product, we’ll need to get to know you—and your culture, competition, personal preferences, and more. We’ll respond to your questions and concerns promptly, and we’ll guide you through what can be a challenging process with clear, efficient communication.
10. Naming is our heart. We are naming experts, first and foremost. It’s not just because they enjoy working with us that branding agencies often ask Catchword to handle the naming part of their projects. And to become a naming expert you need, among other things, a deep understanding of brand strategy, the key for all effective marketing communication. Our love of names has driven us to a profound understanding of naming strategy and name development, and naturally led to expertise in trademark, domain names, linguistic and cultural name assessment, tagline development, and other copywriting for brands.